The Institute of Food Research is once again supporting Movember with a twenty strong team of Mo Bros sprouting facial hair, with support from Mo Sistas, to help raise funds and awareness of men’s health issues. Many of the IFR Mo Team are actively involved in research into how diet affects men’s health. Mo-fessor Richard [...]
Researchers at the Institute of Food Research have obtained the first evidence from human studies of how diets rich in glucosinolates, such as glucoraphanin found in broccoli, can ‘re-tune’ cellular processes that get disrupted as we age. Retuning these processes to normal may contribute to the reduced risk of cancer seen in people who eat [...]
Field trials and genetic studies have shown that a new variety of broccoli reliably yields higher levels of a health-promoting compound. Broccoli contains a compound called glucoraphanin, which has been shown to promote health by maintaining cardiovascular health and a reduction in the risk of cancer. A long term breeding programme to increase glucoraphanin levels [...]
New research in human volunteers has shown that molecular changes to our genes, known as epigenetic marks, are driven mainly by ageing but are also affected by what we eat. The study showed that whilst age had the biggest effects on these molecular changes, selenium and vitamin D status reduced the accumulation of epigenetic changes, [...]
The Prostate Cancer Foundation is providing $1M of funding to the Institute of Food Research and the University of East Anglia (UEA) to study the protective effects of broccoli consumption against prostate cancer. It builds upon several years of research led by Professor Richard Mithen on the biological activity of a naturally occurring compound called [...]
- Reducing food waste 22 October, 2013
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain 10 October, 2013
- IFR at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival 12 September, 2013
- Should the UK consume horse meat to help improve horse welfare? 15 November, 2013
- PhD studentships available at the Institute of Food Research 18 November, 2013
- Livestock-associated MRSA found in poultry 27 November, 2013
- More than bread and beer: the National Collection of Yeast Cultures 27 November, 2013
- Researchers have a nose for how probiotics could affect hay fever 26 November, 2013
- Caution needed in feeding food waste to pigs 23 November, 2013
- IFR in Northern Ireland 19 November, 2013
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
- IFR (UK) - Reducing food waste | Food Security ...: [...] 22 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain | Nu...: [...] 10 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- Super Broccolli New Website - GR2FoodGR2Food-Nutrition-Health: [...] Photo and article curated by Dr. Margaret Ca...
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website | GR2 Food, Nutrition and HealthGR2 Food, Nutrition and Health: [...] See on news.ifr.ac.uk [...]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009