A study has shown that a daily probiotic drink changed how cells lining the nasal passages of hay fever sufferers reacted to a single out-of-season challenge. However, it did not lead to significant changes in hay fever symptoms, although this challenge test may not have accurately represented natural allergen exposure. Our immune system must distinguish [...]
Over the last century, average life expectancy has increased by 30 years. In twenty years time, one in four people will be over the age of 65. One of the greatest challenges facing us now is how to ensure that people can maintain good health as they age. The Institute of Food Research is hosting [...]
As part of National Science & Engineering Week, four postgraduate students from the Institute of Food Research and the John Innes Centre, presented their research to an appreciative audience. Research topics covered purple foods and heart disease, the wild west inside our guts, antibiotics from insect bacteria and sticky bacteria. Watch the presentations Purple up [...]
Justin McCarville, a master’s degree student in Applied Bioscience at the University Of Ontario Institute Of Technology has recently taken part in a three-month international internship at IFR, studying the immune response of the cells that line the gastrointestinal tract. [UOIT Announcement] “When a chance to work with the IFR develops, you have to go [...]
[University of Bologna Press Release] IFR is a partner in a new EU-funded research project that is investigating how diet can help ensure that we remain healthy during old age. Immunological studies will feed into a study of how diet can affect a number of age-related conditions. People are living longer. Rising living standards, improved [...]
- How gut bacteria stick around to help keep us healthy 22 January, 2014
- Evolutionary approach to tackling Salmonella 5 February, 2014
- International recognition for IFR scientist 24 March, 2014
- New resources deliver insights into Salmonella’s virulence 25 March, 2014
- BBSRC Research Experience Studentships 26 March, 2014
- Total Food 2014 2 April, 2014
- New yeast species travelled the globe with a little help from the beetles 1 April, 2014
- Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research 31 March, 2014
- Strictly yeast 28 March, 2014
- Mysteries of the Yeast 27 March, 2014
- Evolutionary approach to tackling Salmonella | ...: […] The Institute of Food Research is please...
- How gut bacteria stick around to help keep us h...: […] Nathalie Juge and her group have found t...
- Reducing sugar in foods – how IFR is help...: […] […]...
- How bacteria with a sweet tooth may keep us healthy - The Almagest: […] Story Source […]...
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009