The Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) has identified the presence of Livestock-Associated Meticillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) on a poultry farm. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/livestock-associated-mrsa-found-at-a-farm-in-east-anglia The discovery of this livestock-associated strain of MRSA in poultry should present a very low risk to human health, provided normal hygiene and cooking procedures are followed. In general, poultry meat should [...]
The IFR generally supports efforts to reduce or reuse food waste, as a way of reducing the overall environmental impact of the food chain. However, this needs to be done in a responsible manner. It is essential that any food waste used to feed pigs is not exposed to contamination from meat or other animal-derived [...]
We undertake research in the following areas: Creating value from food waste (biofuels, platform chemicals, composts) Extending shelf-life Defining and quantifying food waste Creating value from food waste At the Institute of Food Research (IFR) we explore how food waste, from different parts of the food supply chain, could be used to make valuable products [...]
A BBSRC China Partnership Award has allowed the Institute of Food Research to build up a fruitful relationship with Chinese scientists, to contribute to reducing the risks of food poisoning. Foodborne botulism is a serious health concern, causing life-threatening illness and long-term health effects. In the UK regulators, food companies and researchers have come together [...]
The toxin that causes botulism is the most potent that we know of. Eating an amount of toxin just 1000th the weight of a grain of salt can be fatal, which is why so much effort has been put into keeping Clostridium botulinum, which produces the toxin, out of our food. The Institute of Food [...]
The recent horse meat scandal and food poisoning outbreaks such as the E. coli infections in 2011 have put the food supply chain into the spotlight. How did horse meat end up undetected in so many different places? Why were Spanish cucumbers initially blamed for the E. coli outbreak in Germany, before Egyptian fenugreek seeds [...]
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website 5 September, 2013
- Reducing food waste 22 October, 2013
- IFR at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival 12 September, 2013
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain 10 October, 2013
- Should the UK consume horse meat to help improve horse welfare? 15 November, 2013
- Livestock-associated MRSA found in poultry 27 November, 2013
- More than bread and beer: the National Collection of Yeast Cultures 27 November, 2013
- Researchers have a nose for how probiotics could affect hay fever 26 November, 2013
- Caution needed in feeding food waste to pigs 23 November, 2013
- IFR in Northern Ireland 19 November, 2013
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
- IFR (UK) - Reducing food waste | Food Security ...: [...] 22 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain | Nu...: [...] 10 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- Super Broccolli New Website - GR2FoodGR2Food-Nutrition-Health: [...] Photo and article curated by Dr. Margaret Ca...
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website | GR2 Food, Nutrition and HealthGR2 Food, Nutrition and Health: [...] See on news.ifr.ac.uk [...]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009