The IFR generally supports efforts to reduce or reuse food waste, as a way of reducing the overall environmental impact of the food chain. However, this needs to be done in a responsible manner. It is essential that any food waste used to feed pigs is not exposed to contamination from meat or other animal-derived [...]
We undertake research in the following areas: Creating value from food waste (biofuels, platform chemicals, composts) Extending shelf-life Defining and quantifying food waste Creating value from food waste At the Institute of Food Research (IFR) we explore how food waste, from different parts of the food supply chain, could be used to make valuable products [...]
The Global Food Security Programme has published a report identifying the main research priorities needed to address the problems of food waste. Tackling food waste is a vital part of ensuring food security in the future. ‘Food Waste within Global Systems’ identifies research priorities throughout the food supply chain, from production through to consumers. Part of the [...]
Food is of fundamental importance to our health, and understanding exactly how foods keep us healthy is the overarching aim of the Food and Health strategic programme at the Institute of Food Research. In this video, Professor Richard Mithen gives an overview of this BBSRC-funded programme. What are the key components in foods that keep [...]
As highlighted by a recent report from the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, as a global community we waste up to half of the food that we produce. It’s clear that as world population grows and resources become scarcer, we need to address this to ensure food security for all. The challenge of food security & food [...]
A patented process to control the degradation of plant material during composting has been short-listed as a finalist in the Technical Product category in this year’s Grower of the Year awards. The process was invented by Professor Keith Waldron from the Institute of Food Research and developed with the help of industry partners, Defra, the [...]
- Reducing food waste 22 October, 2013
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain 10 October, 2013
- IFR at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival 12 September, 2013
- Should the UK consume horse meat to help improve horse welfare? 15 November, 2013
- PhD studentships available at the Institute of Food Research 18 November, 2013
- Livestock-associated MRSA found in poultry 27 November, 2013
- More than bread and beer: the National Collection of Yeast Cultures 27 November, 2013
- Researchers have a nose for how probiotics could affect hay fever 26 November, 2013
- Caution needed in feeding food waste to pigs 23 November, 2013
- IFR in Northern Ireland 19 November, 2013
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
- IFR (UK) - Reducing food waste | Food Security ...: [...] 22 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain | Nu...: [...] 10 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- Super Broccolli New Website - GR2FoodGR2Food-Nutrition-Health: [...] Photo and article curated by Dr. Margaret Ca...
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website | GR2 Food, Nutrition and HealthGR2 Food, Nutrition and Health: [...] See on news.ifr.ac.uk [...]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009