Many diseases are preventable and diet can play an important part in preventing them. Providing dietary advice that can help people live longer and reduce the burden on the NHS requires accurate and specific information. Professor Richard Mithen and Dr Maria Traka have published a review in The Plant Cell journal of the different ways [...]
Scientists from the European Nutrigenomics Organisation have profiled the changes in our bodies’ molecules caused by prolonged fasting. This ‘fasting metabolome’ may make it possible to characterise different people according to their metabolic reaction to nutritional stress, as a step towards personalised nutrition for maintaining an individual’s health and wellbeing. In research published in the [...]
International collaboration to address food related health inequalities in Indian populations in the UK and India
The Institute of Food Research is leading a new research collaboration to investigate food-related health inequalities in Indian populations in the UK and India. At the inaugural meeting of international scientists in Mysore, they identified issues of over- and under-nutrition as well as food allergies and asthma.
Volunteers to a scientific study in Norfolk will be asked to eat a new kind of broccoli that has been specially developed using conventional breeding to be enriched in a naturally-occurring compound called glucoraphanin. This compound is thought to be important in maintaining health and preventing diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. Over 2 [...]
- How gut bacteria stick around to help keep us healthy 22 January, 2014
- Evolutionary approach to tackling Salmonella 5 February, 2014
- International recognition for IFR scientist 24 March, 2014
- New resources deliver insights into Salmonella’s virulence 25 March, 2014
- BBSRC Research Experience Studentships 26 March, 2014
- Total Food 2014 2 April, 2014
- New yeast species travelled the globe with a little help from the beetles 1 April, 2014
- Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research 31 March, 2014
- Strictly yeast 28 March, 2014
- Mysteries of the Yeast 27 March, 2014
- Evolutionary approach to tackling Salmonella | ...: […] The Institute of Food Research is please...
- How gut bacteria stick around to help keep us h...: […] Nathalie Juge and her group have found t...
- Reducing sugar in foods – how IFR is help...: […] […]...
- How bacteria with a sweet tooth may keep us healthy - The Almagest: […] Story Source […]...
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009