Many of the 65,000 visitors to The Big Bang Fair got a taste for network science recently as the Institute of Food Research and travelling arts emporium ME AND ER presented a representation of the global food network. Together, the scientists and artists put together a representation of the way different ingredients come together during [...]
The recent horse meat scandal and food poisoning outbreaks such as the E. coli infections in 2011 have put the food supply chain into the spotlight. How did horse meat end up undetected in so many different places? Why were Spanish cucumbers initially blamed for the E. coli outbreak in Germany, before Egyptian fenugreek seeds [...]
In May, as part of a £250 Million strategic investment in UK bioscience, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council announced funding for 14 key national capabilities, three of which are located at the Institute of Food Research. Two of these are databases collating information on food composition (Food Databanks) and predictive microbiology (ComBase), and the other [...]
As illustrated by the E. coli outbreak in Germany in 2011, any delay in identifying the source of food poisoning outbreaks can cost lives and cause considerable political and economical damage. An international multidisciplinary team of scientists have shown that difficulties in finding the sources of contamination behind food poisoning cases are inevitable due to [...]
Salmonella remains a serious cause of food poisoning in the UK and throughout the EU, in part due to its ability to thrive and quickly adapt to the different environments in which it can grow. New research involving a team of IFR scientists, funded by BBSRC, has taken the first detailed look at what Salmonella [...]
Combase, the predictive microbiology database co-ordinated by IFR, was recently showcased to a public audience at the Natural History Museum in London, at an event designed to let people get hands-on with cutting edge science and meet the people behind it. ‘Science Uncovered’ at the Natural History Museum was part of European Researcher’s Night, which [...]
- Reducing food waste 22 October, 2013
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain 10 October, 2013
- IFR at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival 12 September, 2013
- Should the UK consume horse meat to help improve horse welfare? 15 November, 2013
- PhD studentships available at the Institute of Food Research 18 November, 2013
- Livestock-associated MRSA found in poultry 27 November, 2013
- More than bread and beer: the National Collection of Yeast Cultures 27 November, 2013
- Researchers have a nose for how probiotics could affect hay fever 26 November, 2013
- Caution needed in feeding food waste to pigs 23 November, 2013
- IFR in Northern Ireland 19 November, 2013
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
- IFR (UK) - Reducing food waste | Food Security ...: [...] 22 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain | Nu...: [...] 10 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- Super Broccolli New Website - GR2FoodGR2Food-Nutrition-Health: [...] Photo and article curated by Dr. Margaret Ca...
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website | GR2 Food, Nutrition and HealthGR2 Food, Nutrition and Health: [...] See on news.ifr.ac.uk [...]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009