We undertake research in the following areas: Creating value from food waste (biofuels, platform chemicals, composts) Extending shelf-life Defining and quantifying food waste Creating value from food waste At the Institute of Food Research (IFR) we explore how food waste, from different parts of the food supply chain, could be used to make valuable products [...]
The Global Food Security Programme has published a report identifying the main research priorities needed to address the problems of food waste. Tackling food waste is a vital part of ensuring food security in the future. ‘Food Waste within Global Systems’ identifies research priorities throughout the food supply chain, from production through to consumers. Part of the [...]
Researchers from the Institute of Food Research have successfully produced bioethanol from waste paper, as part of efforts to turn waste into valuable products. To increase their sustainability, there is currently a drive to turn away from deriving biofuels from food crops, such as corn and sugarcane. Bioethanol derived from waste streams from agriculture and [...]
Minister for Universities and Science David Willetts has announced nearly £1M funding for the UK arm of an international consortium attempting to build a synthetic version of the yeast genome by 2017. [BBSRC Press Release] Dr Ian Roberts, curator of the BBSRC-supported National Collection of Yeast Cultures at the Institute of Food Research is a [...]
The Institute of Food Research hosted visitors from Vietnam, lead by the Vice Minister of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Bui Ba Bong. The delegation was interested in IFR’s research into food safety, food bioactives and exploitation of co-products from the food chain, with a view to future collaborations and learning from [...]
Professor Keith Waldron has attended a UK-Vietnam Workshop on Biofuels, sponsored by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and the British Embassy. Vietnam is a centre of rice growing and production, and the waste rice straw from this could represent a significant source of biofuels. To help in exploiting this, BBSRC set up [...]
- Reducing food waste 22 October, 2013
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain 10 October, 2013
- PhD studentships available at the Institute of Food Research 18 November, 2013
- Poultry probiotic’s coat clues to ability to battle bugs 18 November, 2013
- IFR in Northern Ireland 19 November, 2013
- Should we still take vitamin D supplements? 6 December, 2013
- Livestock-associated MRSA found in poultry 27 November, 2013
- More than bread and beer: the National Collection of Yeast Cultures 27 November, 2013
- Researchers have a nose for how probiotics could affect hay fever 26 November, 2013
- Caution needed in feeding food waste to pigs 23 November, 2013
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
- IFR (UK) - Reducing food waste | Food Security ...: [...] 22 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain | Nu...: [...] 10 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- Super Broccolli New Website - GR2FoodGR2Food-Nutrition-Health: [...] Photo and article curated by Dr. Margaret Ca...
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website | GR2 Food, Nutrition and HealthGR2 Food, Nutrition and Health: [...] See on news.ifr.ac.uk [...]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009