Action on Sugar has called for manufacturers to start to reduce the amount of sugar included in different foods to help combat the problem of obesity. They are focussing in particular on so-called ‘hidden’ sugar in many foods. Even in some low fat foods, there may be relatively high levels of sugar, which consumers may [...]
The Dynamic Gastric Model, developed from years of research at the Institute of Food Research, has taken significant steps towards improving its commercial use by food and drug companies worldwide. IFR and the technology management company Plant Bioscience Limited (PBL) have secured funding from the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) to further develop [...]
Cristina Fernandez has joined IFR on a Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship to investigate how adapting foods to control fat digestion could reduce obesity and chronic diet-related disease. Obesity, and related health problems, account for 5% of the EU’s healthcare budget and this figure is rising. Campaigns to promote healthier lifestyles and better diets are a [...]
Peter Wilde’s 25 years at IFR have been rewarded with a Professorship from the University of East Anglia School of Pharmacy. Peter joined the Process Physics Department at IFR in 1985, following a degree in Biophysics at UEA. His main research interests have focussed on the properties of the molecular interfaces in food components. The [...]
A new research project at the Institute of Food Research, which is strategically funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), is to test in humans novel ways of trying to reduce appetite, as part of a strategy to combat the problems caused by obesity in the UK. Obesity, and associated conditions such [...]
- How gut bacteria stick around to help keep us healthy 22 January, 2014
- Evolutionary approach to tackling Salmonella 5 February, 2014
- International recognition for IFR scientist 24 March, 2014
- New resources deliver insights into Salmonella’s virulence 25 March, 2014
- BBSRC Research Experience Studentships 26 March, 2014
- Total Food 2014 2 April, 2014
- New yeast species travelled the globe with a little help from the beetles 1 April, 2014
- Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research 31 March, 2014
- Strictly yeast 28 March, 2014
- Mysteries of the Yeast 27 March, 2014
- Evolutionary approach to tackling Salmonella | ...: […] The Institute of Food Research is please...
- How gut bacteria stick around to help keep us h...: […] Nathalie Juge and her group have found t...
- Reducing sugar in foods – how IFR is help...: […] […]...
- How bacteria with a sweet tooth may keep us healthy - The Almagest: […] Story Source […]...
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009