A new video looks at the National Collection of Yeast Cultures, a BBSRC-funded National Capability at the Institute of Food Research. Brewers’ yeast, Saccharomyces cerivisae, features widely in products we consume daily in our billions across the world, but these ancient unicellular fungi are poised to become a defining organism of the modern era. Yeast can [...]
Minister for Universities and Science David Willetts has announced nearly £1M funding for the UK arm of an international consortium attempting to build a synthetic version of the yeast genome by 2017. [BBSRC Press Release] Dr Ian Roberts, curator of the BBSRC-supported National Collection of Yeast Cultures at the Institute of Food Research is a [...]
The National Collection of Yeast Cultures, the BBSRC-supported National capability based at the IFR recently hosted a visit from leading beer writer Roger Protz as well as a blogger from Spitalfields Life. They were here following the story of how NCYC is helping resurrect Truman’s, the London brewery that closed down in 1988 after hundreds [...]
In May, as part of a £250 Million strategic investment in UK bioscience, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council announced funding for 14 key national capabilities, three of which are located at the Institute of Food Research. Two of these are databases collating information on food composition (Food Databanks) and predictive microbiology (ComBase), and the other [...]
In a unique collaboration between scientists from the UK, Ecuador and Réunion, a new species of yeast has been discovered growing on the fruit of an unidentified and innocuous bramble collected from the biodiversity-rich Maquipucuna cloud forest nature reserve, near Quito, in Ecuador. “We are actively looking for new yeasts with the ability to ferment [...]
- Reducing food waste 22 October, 2013
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain 10 October, 2013
- IFR at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival 12 September, 2013
- Should the UK consume horse meat to help improve horse welfare? 15 November, 2013
- PhD studentships available at the Institute of Food Research 18 November, 2013
- Livestock-associated MRSA found in poultry 27 November, 2013
- More than bread and beer: the National Collection of Yeast Cultures 27 November, 2013
- Researchers have a nose for how probiotics could affect hay fever 26 November, 2013
- Caution needed in feeding food waste to pigs 23 November, 2013
- IFR in Northern Ireland 19 November, 2013
- Reducing food waste | News from the Institute o...: […] […]...
- IFR (UK) - Reducing food waste | Food Security ...: [...] 22 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- New ways of testing meat in the food chain | Nu...: [...] 10 October 2013, Institute of Food Research ...
- Super Broccolli New Website - GR2FoodGR2Food-Nutrition-Health: [...] Photo and article curated by Dr. Margaret Ca...
- Superbroccoli.info – the facts about broccoli in new website | GR2 Food, Nutrition and HealthGR2 Food, Nutrition and Health: [...] See on news.ifr.ac.uk [...]...
Search by tag
IFR on Facebook
Tweeting since 20 August, 2009